Saturday, September 28, 2019

What is in the dream of a child?

Why do you think Randy Pausch was able to achieve so many of his childhood dreams?
The two points that Mr. Pausch made in his last lecture that equates to achieving dreams is tenacity and understanding why there are brick walls. 
I believe we all have childhood dreams. Wherever you grew up, on Cape Cod playing with friends and imagining pirates in the swamp about to attach your fortress, or in war-torn Somalia where your family runs for their lives from pirates to evade slavery, for the dreams of either of these individuals to come to pass he/she must accept that brick walls can concur. 
My childhood dream was to be smart. I was convinced by bully and teacher alike that some people are dumber than others and there is nothing we can do about it. (Brick Wall) I wish I shared my thoughts with my parents at the time. I am sure they would have redirected me to know differently. As the firstborn, I think they had their hands full with my dyslexia, ADD, and stuttering. Nevermind, my brother, joining the family and adding to the chaos.
Now that I have studied the Gospel of Jesus Christ and understand my spiritual lineage to Heavenly Parents, I now know that the brick walls are there to teach me to work with my brothers and sisters to get to our heavenly home. Never to use tenacity to push someone else down so I can make it over the wall, but to help everyone to see the door in the wall and open it.
Do you feel that dreaming is important?
Dreams or day-dreams as I knew them and was subsequently labeled, were my escape. Dreaming that the words that came out of my mouth would flow as smoothly as I rehearsed them in my head. Dreaming that the creative and imaginative stories, I told myself would be appreciated in a fifth grade English class by Miss O'Brian. I was dreaming that the words on the page would stop flipping around the sentence and would make sense. Yes, dreams to me are like the Bridge to Terabithia, give my spirit a place to go to be normal. Through those dreams of being normal, creative, valued, capable, literate, and loved the Holy Ghost was able to help me know, over time, that all my dreams would come true and more.
I have surpassed my childhood dreams, and since finding the Everlasting Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, I know there are no walls that can stop me from my fondest dreams, my Star. See Life Plan Stars and Steppingstones Chart for Scott Pratt, attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

I have enjoyed an eye opening semester

The Lord has blessed me with renewed focus and drive to continue my education and take on responsibilities well over my comfort zone. Than...